“Assistant professor” is the coveted position in Central Universities as well as the state universities in India and overseas as well. The position exists in deemed to be universities, constituent colleges as well as affiliated colleges of the universities.
Assistant Professor Minimum Academic eligibility as per UGC
- For assistant professor position the person must have secured a minimum of 55% marks at postgraduate (Masters level) examination, from a recognized (accredited) university in India (or an equivalent qualification from accredited overseas university or an accredited academic institution ) and in addition must also have passed NET (National Eligibility Test) or equivalent such as SET or SLET. Candidates with a doctorate are exempted from the requirement to pass National Eligibility Test. 3 yr. experience. Candidates not eligible can be placed on tenure contract basis.
- In the case of appointment of Assistant Professor in engineering colleges, a first class post graduate degree (Masters level) is the prescribed qualification and experience in the industry, profession/ research experience as well as paper presentation in seminars and publication of papers ( in referred peer reviewed journals) is the desirable accomplishments.
- In the case of Professor and Associate professor in engineering colleges, doctorate along with first class at UG level or PG level is required, and in case of candidates from industry, “significant industrial/ professional work” with paper publication accomplishments, can be treated as the equivalent of a doctorate. In other cases, doctorate with 8 years of experience is the minimum for the Associate professorship and ten years of experience is required in case of Professorship.
- In case of Assistant Professor of Pharmacy colleges, apart from a degree in Pharmacy, a first-class PG in Pharmacy as well as Registration as per the “Pharmacy Act of 1948” are mandatory Registration as Pharmacist is mandatory for Associate Professor as well as Professor Positions, along with the doctorate in Pharmacy.
- In case of Assistant Professor of a college of education, the candidate must have post-graduation in Commerce, Humanities or Science stream along with Master of Education (MEd) or MA (EDU) with B.Ed., each qualification acquired with at least 55% marks or equivalent.
Assistant Professor Pay Scales
|Name of Post||6th CPC Pay Scale||7th CPC Basic Pay||Min. Gross Salary per month|
|Asst. Professor||15,600 – 39,100 Grade Pay 6,600||57700||81,000|
|Asst. Prof.||15,600 – 39,100 Grade Pay 7,000||68,900||96,500|
|Asst. Prof.||15,600 – 39,100 Grade Pay 8,000||79,800||1,12,000|
|Associate Professor||37,400 – 67,800 Grade Pay 9,000||1,31,400||1,83,000|
|Professor||37,400 – 67,800 Grade Pay 10,000||1,44,200||2,01,000|
Minimum yearly increment @3% of basic Pay.
Asst Professor allowances as per UGC
- The teaching staff is allowed project/consultancy-income up to 30 % of gross pay without sharing with the institution and higher income on sharing basis.
- House Rent Allowance applicable when accommodation not provided
- House rent allowance @30 percent of salary in cities with the population above 50 lakhs
- @20 percent of salary in cities with the population between 5 to 50 lakhs
- And @ 10 percent of basic for towns with the lower population
- Leave (vacation) travel Allowance/concession with family members to home city- town thrice in four years. Allowance for travel (anywhere) within India once in four years can be allowed.
- Transportation benefit /allowance for 13 notified A1 or A class cities are 3200 rupees per month and the monthly allowance of 1600 rupees in other cities and townships.
- For Asst Professors the academic allowance applicable is 1500 rupees per month.
- Dependent children educational allowance (Maximum up to two children) is 1000 rupees/child/month and in case the child is in a hostel the allowance is 3000 rupees per month
(There could be some variation between central universities, deemed to be universities, private universities, and state universities, on the implementation of UGC rules)
With 7th pay commission report being implemented, Asst professor scale may be revised to Rupees 71000-88000. House rent allowance will increase with the increase in basic pay.
Candidates with Ph.D. qualification may now get five advance pay increases (pay-increments).
Those with M Phil qualification may get 3 advance pay increases (pay-increments)
Those Asstprofessors who are postgraduates in engineering (MTech) or MD (Medicine) may get three advance- increments. NET qualified candidates with M Com /MSc etc. may get two advance pay- increments
Responsibilities of Assistant Professors
The responsibilities are related to the specialization and the University as well as institution to which the Asst Professor belongs to.
In case of medical colleges (medical university) or health care related institutes, certain statutory rules govern the duties of Assistant Professors. (These may be related to state and central govt rules and those prescribed by MCI: Medical Council of India as well as others).
General duties and responsibilities of an Assistant professor
- Academic duties such as planning and conducting classes, as well as practicals, to train UG as well as PG students and providing professional guidance for the total development of students.
- To render assistance to HODs and Associate professors/ Professors with regard to teaching plan, notes, question drafting, lab work, hospital duty records,
- To plan and organize periodic assessment of students through internal tests and assignments
- Maintain record of attendance as well as assessment marks and reporting attendance shortage and remedial measures. Deal with issues of student discipline with help of other staff. To work for student welfare related activities and initiatives
- Assisting the university in the conduct of theoretical and practical examinations, setting question papers, invigilation of exam halls, doing the evaluation of answer sheets.
- Guide students in project work and research, and writing of research papers.
- Motivate students to take part in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, help them to organize seminars, college festivals.
- Take part in creative knowledge development to assist the institution in research, consultancy projects, contributing to college journal, editing, and writing, suggest changes to the syllabus
- Help the college regarding student placement and interaction with industry. Assist students with special classes to tackle learning problems. Organize special guest lectures as well as workshops to assist hands-on learning.
- To maintain records required by the university and the statutory bodies such as AICTE and MCI.
- Maintain labs and other facilities such as hostels, whenever required; procure spares and consumables for the labs. Cooperate with lab staff to get optimum output from labs. Report and discuss the lab performance with HODs.