If you want to play a role in securing the country’s borders, and feel proud of your job, you could consider a career in BSF (Border Security Force) of India. In this article, we briefly discuss the career opportunities offered by BSF.
BSF has been our country’s “ First Line of Defense” as explained by BSF website. Our Home Minister Sri Rajnath Singh calls it “ The First Wall of Defense”. The Valiant Praharis (border men) of BSF have proved their mettle by eliminating foreign trained mercenaries trying to infiltrate across India’s borders with Pakistan as well as Bangladesh, again and again.
The BSF has been boosting the morale of people residing in border areas by removing fear and well as instilling a feeling of stable security, During the period of aggression by the enemy country or by terrorists, they defend the territory, by taking a strong aggressive action against the enemy in a limited timeframe.
As armed police wing of central Govt. BSF has own marine wings, air wings, as well as NDRF (National- disaster –response-force), a multiple skill super technology wings, capable of rapid response in case of natural calamities or NBC calamities (calamities of chemical, nuclear or biological origin.)
BSF also helps control the flow of refugees, provides security to POW camps, maintains peace and rule of law in foreign territory under control of our armed forces, checks and prevents smuggling across the borders, maintains peace and rule of law in states facing severe risks of internal disturbances etc.
BSF Salary after 7th CPC
As per Border Security Force Official website, there are 16 ranks in the force. The Constable is the lowest one and Director General is the Apex position in BSF.
The 7th Pay Commission already implemented in most of the central Government department and so in BSF too. The revised basic pay after appointment, gross salary, grade pay against Constable, Head Constable, ASI, SI, Inspector, Subedar Major, Assistant Commandant, Deputy Commandant, 2nd in Command and Commandant is represented in the following table.
|Post Name||Pre-Revised Pay Scale|
|6th CPC Initial Basic Pay||7th CPC Initial Basic Pay||Gross Salary Per Month|
|Constable||5200-20200||2000||8460||21700||27000 – 35000|
|Asstt Sub Inspector (ASI)||2800||11360||29200||36500-48000|
|SI||9300-34800||4200||13500||35400||45000 – 55000|
|Ispector||4600||17140||44900||55000 – 70000|
|Subedar Major||4800||17340||47600||60000 – 75000|
|Assistant Commandant||15600-39100||5400||21000||56100||70000 – 86000|
|Deputy Commandant||6600||25350||67700||82000 – 103000|
|Second-in-Command||7600||29500||78800||96000 – 120000|
|Commandant||37400-67000||8700||49100||118500||145000 – 180000|
The above salary is for newly appointed candidates against each post. If someone gets any of the above posts after promotion, his/her salary may be higher than the mentioned in this table.
Direct Recruit made for the following post:
The selection process involves a written test, document verification, physical measuring of height etc, fitness(efficiency), skill/practical test as well as the medical examination.
BSF Constable Job Profile
Duties of constable include patrolling in the allotted areas, surveillance to prevent infiltration by militants/terrorists as well as smuggling across the border, rapid response to calamities, engaging in light combat in wartime and assisting platoon commander (SI) in case of internal insurgencies or riots.
Constables are recruited directly from the market.
- Age should be between 18 to 23 years,
- Qualification: Minimum matriculation
- Male: min. height 170 centimeters; chest: unexpanded 80 centimeters, expanded 85 centimeters.
- Females: Minimum height: 157 centimeters
BSF SI Job Profile
BSF SI(subinspector) assumes a leadership role and works as a platoon commander. He/ She is responsible for planning operations and execution, light combats, in case of warlike situations as well as peacetime border management.
SI is also responsible for
- training subordinates and supervising border surveillance,
- prevention of cross-border smuggling of drugs as well as infiltration of militants,
- transmission of intelligence inputs on border situation and enemy movements
- coordinating logistic support,
- taking on the spot tactical decisions,
- preparing reports, communicating instructions, explain policies,
- maintaining the morale of the border men,
- compliance with legal provisions, and
- effective deployment of manpower.
- Age must be between 20 to 25 years
- And must hold a university degree
Assistant Commandant Job Profile
Asst. Commandant (AC)is gazetted position, with commensurate powers and accountabilities. AC reports to Deputy Commandant. He/ She works as Company commander and is accountable for the lives of border men under his/ her command.
AC is responsible for the deployment of forces for border management, as well as plan strategies and tactics based on the intelligence input, during wartime. He/ she may be required to take care of recruitment and training of new entrants as well as coordinate with state Govt in handling counter-insurgency operations as well as rapid response relief work in case of natural calamities or other disasters (nuclear, chemical or biological disasters for example). He/she is also responsible for maintaining high morale of the Bordermen he commands.
Asst Commandant(technical) is in charge of communication equipment needed for operations as well as border management as well as other technical matters.
- Age limit: A candidate must be between 18 and 25 years of age
- Qualification: Graduate of a recognized university( For Asst commandant Technical: must be BSc with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics).
- Height: Male 165 centimeters, chest measures 81 to 86, minimum weight: 50 kilos.
- Female: Height: 157 centimeters, minimum weight: 46 kilos
Assistant Sub Inspector (Radio Mechanic) Job profile
This is a technical post and requires knowledge of modern military communication equipment. Duties include selection and procurement/ storage of reliable spare parts and preventive maintenance and testing of modern communication equipment. He/she must supervise the work of subordinate technical personnel. Also responsible for reporting the status of equipment and spares/components.
- Age must be between 18 and 25 years.
- Academic qualifications: a must have passed three year diploma (after passing matriculation) in electrical/ electronics / radio & tv,engg/computer science or telecom, or b. Must have passed 10+2 with Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.
Head Constable (Radio Operator) Job profile
This is a technical post involving the operation of modern communication equipment including satellite communication, signal transmission, processing and receiving involved in combat operations as well as border surveillance and peacetime activities.
- Age must be between 18 and 23 years,
- Qualifications: either should have passed matriculation with two-year ITI certificate course with electronics/TV&radio or should have passed plus 2,
- Height: male: min 170 centimeters and unexpanded chest 80 centimeters expanded 85 centimeters
Head Constable (Fitter) Job profile
This post involves mechanical and electrical fitting, assembly and dismantling of mechanical equipment, troubleshooting, maintenance and inspection of equipment, based on drawings and standard procedures.
- Age between 18 and 23 years,
- Education: must be matriculated and 2year ITI certificate holder in fitting or must have passed 10 plus2 with Mathematics, chemistry, and physics
Physical measurements: Height 170 centimeters and chest 80 centimeter unexpanded, 85 centimeters expanded.
Certain percentages of vacancies(other than constable post) are earmarked for internal promotion. (In case of SI 66.6% are for promotion from the rank of ASI. In case of Asst Commandant post only 50% are directly recruited and remaining promoted from Inspector rank).
Merit, medical report, fitness, minimum qualification, suitability, and seniority are considered in selection for promotion. In non gazetted posts promotees are required to pass a pre-promotion test, which can be taken after completing the certain minimum service period in the subordinate rank.
Wrapup: candidates may refer to the BSF website for more information.