BSNL JTO career path promotion opportunities & job profile
BSNL has announced to fill the 2510 post of Junior Telecom Officers through valid GATE 2017 score card. Electronics & Communication, Computer Science & Instrumentation engineers are very eager to know about Job profile, type of work & career path of JTOs in Largest Government Telecom Company Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited.
Junior Telecom Officers are recruited on revised IDA pay scale of E1 (16400-40500). It is a Group B officer post. As Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited has a presence in everywhere in India so candidates have a chance to get their hometown. During the application, candidates are asked to fill the options for the state in which state or telecom circle they want to work. In the previous recruitment, candidates have asked to fill 5 choices for posting in the state. Depending upon the priority you should fill the same. BSNL management does appointments of new appointees in a circle or state on the basis of all India rank in competitive exam. It means high ranking candidates get their preferred state of posting. Generally, top 1000 all India ranked get their 1st choice of posting.
After successful selection in the company, selected candidate has to appear in the medical fitness test. Every PSU & Private companies conduct medical test before joining of any candidates. Thereafter candidates are called for training in BSNL training centers.
Job opportunities for JTO in BSNL
Junior Telecom Officer career starts from the executive post in the company. Newly recruited officers are generally posted in new technology department like Broadband, Mobile, Data centers etc. However, management can post them in any section according to the company requirement. Hence new recruits get the opportunity to work in most advanced & new technology sections.
Here is list of different department where officers may be posted after appointment
- Optical Fiber Network: Optical fiber Network is the backbone of any telecom service provider company. All services like voice, data, internet, landline etc are dependent on the Optical Fiber media. So officers posted here to get the opportunity to design & plan Optical network for cities or states. This has
- Data Centers: Data centers are used to store a large amount of data. Here most advanced software & servers are used to process the data. So its is the best place to work for Electronics & Communication, Computer Science & Information Technology graduate engineers. One more advantage is that all data centers are situated in big cities.
- Mobile: All engineering students already aware that mobile technologies are upgrading very rapidly. Like many top private companies, BSNL is also using word class top quality equipment to provide GSM services, 3G broadband data & Voice, Wi-Fi hot spot & 4G broadband using wireless communication systems. It is a great opportunity & dream for many electronics & telecommunication engineering students to work on latest wireless technology.
- Marketing & Sales: This telecom sector PSU also posts young engineers in sales & marketing section. Marketing executives are responsible for day to day products & services sales like landline & broadband connection, SIM Card, data card etc sales. Executives posted at Enterprise business section look after the corporate customers.
- Broadband: BSNL is largest wired broadband internet service provider in India. Working with market leader always a nice feeling. It provides broadband services through DSL technology which used old copper wire & through FTTH technology which used optical fiber network to provide internet services to customers. Here JTOs are responsible to maintaining & installing all the equipment of the optical network, copper network, routers, switches etc.
- Customer Service Centers (CSC): Customer service centers are direct selling or contact point for customers where they get all services info, pay bills, book new services etc. Direct customer interaction is more in CSCs. Here soft skills are required more as compare to technical knowledge.
Apart from above-mentioned departments, newly recruited Junior Telecom Officers can be posted in Computer, Networking, Outdoor, Indoor, Rural areas, D.C. power plants, Operations, Planning, Administration, Corporate Offices & Circle head Offices. So there are enormous opportunities for newly recruited graduate engineers.
JTO Career Growth in BSNL
Junior Telecom Officer is the lowest executive cadre in BSNL. JTO cadre further divided into Telecom, Electrical & Civil division. Here is the cadre hierarchy present there.
After 3years of service, junior telecom officer gets opportunity to appear in internal departmental exam for the promotion in the SDE cadre. Promotions from SDE to higher posts are done through the available vacancy in DE cadre. However, time bound financial up-gradation is done after every 4 or 5 years. It means executives get salary hike as like in promotion but they are not promoted to next post.
The only minus point in this job is that is a Group B cadre (Class II officer), whereas most of the Government PSUs recruits Graduate Engineers in Group A cadre (Class I Officer). Group A or class I officers always get more facilities & opportunities to get the higher post through promotions quickly as compared to Group B officers. Here is a complete guide to select best PSU for engineers. I have described all the points related to JTO job profile & career growth, in the case of any doubt please feel free to comment.
Read it also: