Recently Defence Research and Development Organization has invited application to work in the prestigious department in the Scientist B post. In this post, I will share the monthly salary received by the newly recruited Scientist B or Graduate Engineers.
In order to be Scientist in the DRDO, one would need to appear in the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering for the current year. At the time of GATE notification Recruitment and Assessment Centre (RAC) issues advertisement for the vacancy for next year with the GATE scorecard. After the final result of GATE Scorecard, RAC issues final official notification for the Recruitment of Scientist. Like this year DRDO Recruitment has announced the notification on 15 May 2018. A candidate has to fill the online form. DRDO will scrutinize the forms and call for the interview the candidates as per the vacancy requirement.
The weightage of the interview marks is 20% and for the GATE scorecard is 80%. So GATE score is vital to get selected in the DRDO.
DRDO Scientist Salary and Promotion Hierarchy
There are various grades of Engineers in the Defence Research and Development Organization. The lowest cadre is Scientist “B”. There immediate higher cadre as per the DRDO hierarchy is C, D, E, F, & H. The below table represents the gross salary of each grade Scientist.
|DRDO Scientist Salary after 7th CPC|
|Post Name||Pre-Revised Pay Scale and Grade pay||Basic Pay After 7th CPC||Minimum Gross Salary for the post|
|STA 'B'||9,300 – 34,800 GP 4200||35,400||50,000 – 75,000|
|Scientist 'B'||15,600-39,100 GP 5400||56100||80000 – 96000|
|Scientist 'C'||15,600-39,100 GP 6600||67700||96000 – 110000|
|Scientist 'D'||15,600-39,100 GP 7600||78800||111000 – 135000|
|Scientist 'E'||37,400-67,000/- GP 8700||118500||172000 – 205000|
|Scientist 'F'||37,400-67,000/- GP 8900||131100||188000 – 224000|
|Scientist 'G'||37,400-67,000/- GP 10000||144200||210000 – 249000|
|Scientist 'H'||67000-79,000/-||148200||220000 – 250000|
The above table includes the Special Pay and professional up gradation allowances. Here are the few details about both.
Read: ISRO Scientist Salary
Special Pay: The scientist from C to F Grade are paid Special Pay of equal to 2 Increments per month. The G Grade officers are paid a fixed amount of 4000 per month.
Professional Update Allowance: It is really good and hardly found in any central government organization. The Executives of B, C, D cadre get fixed amount of Rupees 10000 monthly, the higher grade officers of E & F get Rupees 20000/- per month and the Scientist of level G Onwards get the fixed amount of Rupees 30000/- monthly with salary.
Perks Allowances and Facilities
As the Scientist B post is a Class I Gazetted Officer position hence a newly appointed Engineer get all the facilities attached to the position.
Government Accommodation: The Defence Research and Development Organization provides accommodation to its employees. Those who live in the department accommodation, they are not eligible for House rent allowances. The new rates of HRA are 9%, 18% and 27% of the basic pay for the Class C, B, and A type cities. Say for example if a newly recruited engineer has basic pay 56100. So he/she would get 18% of 56100 that means 10098 as an HRA.
Transportation allowance: The DRDO employee of level 9 and above grade working in the big cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Jaipur, Indore, Hyderabad, Patna, Surat, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Kochi, Kozhikode, Nagpur, Pune, Coimbatore, Ghaziabad, Kanpur, Lucknow get 7200 per month as a transportation allowances. The other place executives get 3600 per month as TA.
Leave Traveling Allowance: The LTC are of two types one is hometown and another one is all India LTC. A DRDO employee can avail each type of LTC once in a four year of service. During this leave period, he/she has been additionally paid by the company as per the eligible DA rates to his/her grade.
Medical reimbursement for self and dependents: This is again a quite good facility. He/she and dependents of the employees are eligible for cashless outdoor & indoor treatment In most of the cases outdoor bills are reimbursed & indoor treatment is cashless from DRDO recognized hospitals.
Nature of Post
DRDO recruitment for the Scientist B post done on the basis of GATE score card and interview marks. Mostly it recruits engineer from Electronics, Computer science, Mechanical and Electrical branches.
After successful selection in the Scientist, B post candidate is appointed in the level 10 pay scale of pay Matrix with initial basic pay of 56100.
This pay scale corresponds to the lowest grade of group A or class I gazetted officer post. This is similar to the ISRO Scientist C Recruitment post or equivalent to IAS, IPS officer grade. The only difference is about the job responsibilities and nature of work.
DRDO has in-house training center at Pune and Mussourie. It also posts the Scientist to IITs and IISCs for the essential training if any needed. Sometimes it also deputes them to foreign institutes for the special projects/training.
The selected people can get posting in the following places
- Aerial Delivery Research and Development Establishment (ADRDE) Agra
- Vehicle Research & Development Establishment (VRDE) Ahmednagar
- Naval Materials Research Laboratory (NMRL) Ambernath
- Integrated Test Range (ITR) Balasore
- Proof & Experimental Establishment (PXE) Balasore
- Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) Bangalore
- Centre For Air Borne System (CABS) Bangalore
- Centre for Artificial Intelligence & Robotics (CAIR) Bangalore
- Centre for Military Airworthiness & Certification (CEMILAC) Bangalore
- Defence Avionics Research Establishment (DARE) Bangalore
- Defence Bio-Engineering & Electro Medical Laboratory (DEBEL) Bangalore
- Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) Bangalore
- Electronics & Radar Development Establishment (LRDE) Bangalore
- Microwave Tube Research & Development Centre (MTRDC) Bangalore
- Snow & Avalanche Study Estt (SASE) Chandigarh
- Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory (TBRL) Chandigarh
- Naval Physical Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL) Cochin
- Defence Electronics Application Laboratory (DEAL) Dehradun
- Instruments Research & Development Establishment (IRDE) Dehradun
- Centre for Advanced Semiconductor Technology (ASEMIT) Delhi
- Defence Scientific Information & Documentation Centre (DESIDOC) Delhi
- Defence Institute of Physiology & Allied Sciences (DIPAS) Delhi
- Defence Institute of Psychological Research (DIPR) Delhi
- Defence Terrain Research Laboratory (DTRL) Delhi
- Institute of Nuclear Medicine & Allied Sciences (INMAS) Delhi
- Institute for Systems Studies & Analyses (ISSA) Delhi
- Laser Science & Technology Centre (LASTEC) Delhi
- Scientific Analysis Group (SAG) Delhi
- Solid State Physics Laboratory (SSPL) Delhi
- Centre for Fire Explosive and Environment Safety (CFEES) Delhi
- Defence Research & Development Establishment (DRDE) Gwalior
- Defence Institute of Bio-Energy Research (DIBER) Haldwani
- Advanced Numerical Research & Analysis Group (ANURAG) Hyderabad
- Defence Electronics Research Laboratory (DLRL) Hyderabad
- Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL) Hyderabad
- Defence Research & Development Laboratory (DRDL) Hyderabad
- Research Centre Imarat (RCI) Hyderabad
- Defence Laboratory (DLJ) Jodhpur
- Defence Materials and Stores Research and Development Establishment (DMSRDE) Kanpur
- Defence Institute of High Altitude Research (DIHAR) Leh Ladakh
- Institute of Technology Management (ITM) Mussourie
- Defence Food Research Laboratory (DFRL) Mysore
- Advanced Centre for Energetic Materials (ACEM) Nasik
- Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE) Pune
- Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT) Pune
- High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) Pune
- Research & Development Establishment (RDE(E)) Pune
- Defence Research Laboratory (DRL) Tejpur
- Naval Science & Technological Laboratory (NSTL) Vishakapatnam
- Combat Vehicles Research & Development Estt Chennai