Complete info about GATE 2017 exam
Applications for Graduate Aptitude Test in engineering examination 2017 have been started online from 01 September 2016 through official website http://www.gate.iitr.ernet.in/. All final year BE/B.Tech students, who are preparing for GATE or want to join top PSUs, can file the online application. Here are the all important dates of GATE 2017 exam.
Why GATE 2017
- To get admissions in IITs/IISc for M.E. or M.Tech courses.
- To get job in various central government departments for following posts
- Senior Field Officer (Tele)
- Senior Research Officer (Crypto)
- Senior Research Officer (S&T)
- To get the job in Central Public sector Enterprises also known as PSUs.
Basic info about GATE 2017
- This year GATE is going to be conducted in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, & United Arab Emirates for admission of candidates from these nationalities in IITs/IISc.
- The exam will be conducted online for all 23 streams & a candidate can apply for one stream only. A virtual calculator is provided for calculations during the examination.
- Candidates don’t have to send the hard copy of the online form to the administrative office.
- Fee payment can be done electronically as well as through e-challan.
- Admit card can be downloaded from official GATE 2017 websites. A hard copy of same will not be sent to your address.
Read it also: Top PSUs Salary in hand for freshers
There is no age limit for examination which is to be held next year. Educational qualification requirements are shown in below table.
|Qualifying Degree||Degree Details||Degree Status||Year of qualification or before than|
|B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Pharm||Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/ Technology) and those who are in the final year of such programs||Final year running or already Passed out||2017|
|B. Arch.||Bachelor’s degree in Architecture (5 years course)||Final year running or already Passed out||2017|
|B.Sc. (Research)/ B.S.||Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma/ 4 years after 10+2)||Final year running or already Passed out||2017|
|Int. M.E/ M.Tech (Post-B.Sc.)||Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering / Technology (Four year program)||2nd, 3rd or 4th year running or already Passed out||2019|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering / Technology (Five year program)||4th or 5th year running or already Passed out||2018|
|Int. M.Sc/ Int. B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or Five year integrated B. S./M. S. program||Final year running or already Passed out||2017|
|M. Sc./ M.A./MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics / Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent||Final year running or already Passed out||2017|
|Professional Society Examination (equivalent to B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Arch.)||B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India)||Completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses||NA|
Documents required before filling online form
The application is filled through online mode only. Before filling an online form you must have following details with you
- College Address with PIN code
- Correspondence Address with PIN Code
- Degree certificates in PDF format. Final year students can upload their 6th or 7th-semester mark sheet. And passed out candidates can upload original degree certificate or Provisional degree certificate.
- One of the ID card from Aadhar Card, College ID, Driving License, Employee ID, Govt issued ID, PAN Card, Passport or Voter ID. The identification number is to be filled in online form & same may be verified during the exam. So you need to carry the same ID card in examination hall along with a admit card.
- Scan copy of image with dimensions 3.5X4.5cm. Size 5-200kb in jpeg/jpg format. Maximum pixel resolution 480 x 640 and minimum pixel resolution 240 x 320 & Aspect ratio (width: height) should be from 0.6603 to 0.8933.
- Scan copy of sign. Size 5-150kb in jpeg/jpg format. Maximum pixel resolution 560 x 160 and minimum pixel resolution 280 x 80. Aspect ratio (width: height) should be from 1586 to 4.0360.
- Scanned copy of left-hand thumb impression. Size 2-150kb in jpeg/jpg format. Maximum pixel resolution 160 x 560 and minimum pixel resolution 80 x 280.
- Category certificate in PDF format to get the discount on fee payment.
- Fee payment number if it paid through e-challan.
Computer Base Test
|Stream||Number of Questions||Total Marks||Division of Marks|
|AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN,MT, PE, PI, TF & XE||65||100||15 Marks for General Aptitude, 15 Marks for Mathematics, 70 Marks for Subject of the Paper|
|AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XL||65||100||15 Marks for General Aptitude, 85 Marks for Subject of the Paper|
nofollow” HREF=”http://ws-in.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?rt=tf_cw&ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=IN&ID=V20070822%2FIN%2Fhttpbsnljcom-21%2F8010%2F1e6710cb-8ee8-4855-a07d-264b6fc3a00e&Operation=NoScript”>Amazon.in Widgets
Question paper & Marking scheme
The question paper will be of 3 hours which will have total 65 unique questions with the maximum of 100 marks. There are two types of questions are on online examination
- MCQ Type: These questions will have 1 or 2 marks, for each question. There are four choices for each question & one or more correct answers. For 1 mark question, 1/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer & for 2 marks question 2/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- Numerical Answer Type questions: This will also have one or two marks for each question. The answer for them will be a real number which is to be filled by virtual keypad. There is no negative marking for this type of question.
GATE 2017 Validity of Result
This time, the result will be announced march 27 at 5:00PM through the official website. This result will be valid for 3 years from the date of announcement of result i.e. up to 27 March 2020. Candidates should download the Gate score card on or before 26 May 2017 from GOAPS portal. Candidates can download the soft copy of score card on from 28 May 2017 till 31 Dec 2017, but they have to pay Rs 500/- to get the same.
Cut off marks
As per information booklet cut off marks will be decided or published by each individual institute for taking admission in them. In the same way, PSUs also advertise their vacancy requirements from the qualifying candidates.
How to apply online
Just go to official site of exam http://appsgate.iitr.ac.in/ and then click on the link mentioned in the middle of the page like shown in below image.
After clicking on the link you get a login form just like mentioned below
New users can click on Register Here button and those who have already registered, they can log in to the portal directly. For new users, a separate form page will open like shown here
Here all fields are self-explanatory. Just remember to fill the valid mobile number & valid email id. The future correspondence will be made through email id & mobile number only. After filling all entries click on submit button. After submitting the form you get an SMS on registered number & email on registered mail id. This SMS or Email will have your enrollment id. Please keep this login id safe for future use. Now you have enrollment ID & password, you have to log in again to fill online application.
Now on login again, you get an online form which contains four sections
- GATE 2017 exam details like your stream, Choice of exam centre etc.
- Correspondence addresses details
- Qualifying Degree details
- Uploading section to upload a color photo, sign, thumb impression & eligibility certificate etc.
After filling all the details you can save the application & proceed for payment. Again after successful payment take the printout of the submitted form & keep is safe for future use.
I have described all important information about upcoming Graduate Aptitude Test in engineering examination 2017 which will be useful in filling online application form. In the case of any doubt please comment below.