Out of many Engineering branches, Civil Engineering is one of them. To say concisely, Civil Engineers are the builders of our society.Without them, we will not have roads to travel, building to live and office to work. It considered as one of the oldest Engineering branches.
In India, The Government of India engenders many job opportunities for the Civil Engineers. Some of the vital ones are:
Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) jobs
|Name of the PSU||Selection Process||Pay Scale|
|National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)||GATE, GD, PI||24,900 - 50,500|
|Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)||GATE, PI||24,900 - 50,500|
|Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)||GATE, GD & GT, PI||24,900 - 50,500|
|Coal India Limited (CIL)||All India Selection Test, PI||20,600 - 46,500 (DT) & 24,900 - 50,500 (AT)|
|Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)||GATE, PI||24,900 - 50,500|
|Power Grid Corporation of India (POWERGRID)||GATE, GD, PI||24,900 - 50,500|
|National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO)||GATE, PI||16400-40500 (DT) & 24,900 - 50,500 (AT)|
|Engineers India Limited (EIL)||Open Competition, PI||20,600 - 46,500|
|National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC)||Written Exam, GD, PI||20,600 - 46,500|
|Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC)||GATE, PI||20,600 - 46,500|
|Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL)||GATE, PI||20,600 - 46,500|
|Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)||GATE, PI||16,400 - 40,500|
|Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited||GATE, Document Verification||16,400 - 40,500|
|National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC)||GATE, PI||16,400 - 40,500|
|Container Corporation of India (CONCOR)||Online Test, GD, PI||20,600 - 46,500|
|Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)||Examination test / Skill test, Trade test||20,600 - 46,500|
Apart from basic pay, the employees also enjoy Dearness Allowance (varies with the company), House Rent Allowance (differs with the company), Cafeteria Approach, Performance Related Pay (varies with the company), medical benefits, provident fund, Leave Encashment and much more. There are also 58 Miniratna – I and 15 Miniratna – II companies among which some of them generates vacancies for civil engineer too.
- GATE: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
- GD: Group Discussion
- GT: Group Task
- PI: Personal Interview
- DT: During Training
- AT: After Training
Indian Engineering Services
Every year, Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts a combined three-staged competitive examination known as Engineering Services Examination (ESE) to recruit well deserving officers to fulfill the technical needs of the Government of India. ESE is the most prestigious examination in India and often termed as one of the harshest examination in the world. Therefore cracking this examination is a nightmare for every applicant.
Some of the services through which civil engineers gets the opportunity to serve their country are:
- Military Engineering Services
- Border Roads Engineering Service
- P&T Building Works Service
- Central Engineering Service
- Survey of India Service
- Indian Railway Stores Service
- Indian Defence Service of Engineers
- Indian Railway Service of Engineers
- Central Water Engineering Service
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service
Staff Selection Commission
India is a vast democratic country. To run this big democracy slickly, there are numerous departments and ministries under the Government of India. Therefore, it is obvious these departments and ministries need commendable officers to encounter their technical needs. To fulfill this need, Staff Selection Commission conducts an All India SSC Combined Graduate Level (SSC-CGL) examination. The SSC CGL Salary of few grades (Group B posts) are equivelant to some Public Sector Jobs. So it cab be a better choice for Engineers with low competition and no personal interview.
Read also: How to prepare for SSC CGL
Civil Engineers can join Indian Railways for various services such as:
- Section Engineer
- Station Master
- Chief Deputy Engineer
- Junior Engineer
- Track Designer
To acquire these designations, the graduates needs to appear in Examinations conducted by Railway Recruitment Board (RRB).
It is a proud moment for any citizen of India if they get a chance to serve their country in the Defence field. Civil Engineering Graduates can serve their country through various Defence services.There are many prestigious academies, which prepares the aspirants for these services such as:
- Indian Air Force Academy
- Indian Military Academy
- Indian Naval Academy
- Indian Officer’s Training Academy
Candidates can be enrolled for the training in these prestigious academies through many significant examinations such as:
- Air Force Common Admission Test (AFCAT): Through this test, the candidates can serve their country by entering into Air force by going through vigorous training at Indian Air Force Academy.
- Combined Defence Services (CDS) Examination: Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts this examination twice a year to recruit Worthy applicants into all four vital Defence academy i.e. Indian Air Force Academy, Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, and Indian Officer’s Training Academy. After the applicants qualify this Examination, they are invited to attend an interview that is conducted by the Service Selection Board (SSB).
- Technical Graduate Course (TGC): Technical Graduate Course is a course that commences at Indian Military Academy for entry into Indian Army.