National Thermal Power Corporation circulates a recruitment notification yearly for the recruitment of Graduate Engineers through GATE examination. It is the top government job for newly recruited engineers which provide you best CTC in the power sector. Here, I will share the pay scale and salary structure of the newly appointed GETs and higher grade officers.
The National Thermal Power Corporation has total 19,739 executives and non-executives as on 31 March 2018. The Maharatna Company spent total Rs 2,712,129 Crore for the salary and other benefits to the employee in the financial year 2017-18. If we check the average amount spent by the company for an individual employee, it would come around Rs 3,139,586 per year.
So NTPC is spending on an average more than 30 Lakh per year per employee for the salary, welfare activities, township, education, medical facility, social and cultural activities, Subsidised Transport, and Subsidised Canteen facilities.
Executive Trainee pay Scale
National Thermal Power Corporation appoints the successful candidates as an Executive Trainee at IDA pay scale of 60,000-1,80,00 at executive Grade E3.
|NTPC Executive Trainee Salary|
|Pay Scale||60,000 – 1,80,000|
|Initial Basic Pay||60,000|
|EPF+ DA + Perk + PRP||54,480|
|Minimum Monthly Gross Salary in Rs||1,14,480|
As 3rd PRC pay scales are approved by the Govt of India. Hence the NTPC Pay revision order also issued by the management for revision of pay scales from 01.01.2017 for all employees of the company. The above table represents the salary of the newly recruited executive engineer in the National Thermal Power Corporation.
House Rent Allowances
NTPC also provides House Rent Allowances to their employees. The HRA depends on the area where the employee currently lives i.e. in which class of city they reside. In India, all cities are divided into classes namely Class A, Class A1, Class B1, Class B2, and Class C. Therefore; the HRA are different in different categories of the city. The table below clarifies this point:
|Power Grid Revised HRA Rates from 29.05.2018|
|City Class||House Rent Allowance Rate (% of Basic Pay)|
|X – Class||24%|
|Y – Class||16%|
|Z – Class||8%|
Perks, Allowances & Other Facilities
- Performance Related Pay
- Children Education Allowance
- Medical benefits
- Travel Allowance
- Field Compensatory Allowance
- Car loan facility
- Computer Loan
- Leave Encashment
- Group Insurance
- Contributory Provident Fund
Promotions & Career Growth
Generally, NTPC executives get promoted to the next position that is deputy manager after 3-years of service only depending upon the individual performance of executives. First 3 to 4 promotion are extended regularly and thereafter all promotions are post based. Here is the NTPC cadre hierarchy for executives and engineers.
|3rd PRC NTPC Revised Pay Scales from 01.01.2017|
|Name of Post||Garde||Pay Scale|
|Executive Trainee/ Assistant Manager||E3||60000-180000|
|Deputy Manager/ Deputy Superintendent||E4||70000-200000|
|Senior Manager/ Senior Superintendent||E6||90000-240000|
|Deputy General Manager||E7||100000-260000|
How to Become ET in NTPC
- Eligible candidates should appear for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering because most of the top Public Sector Company utilizes the GATE score for the calling applicants for a further round of selection process. You can check here the total list of PSU Recruitment through GATE 2019 for the graduate engineers.
- The candidates will qualify to appear in Online Aptitude Test based on the marks obtained in GATE.
- The result of the Online Aptitude test will be used to shortlist the candidates for the group discussion.
- The candidates who will qualify the group discussion stage will further appear for personal interview.
- The candidates who want their name to appear in the merit list must secure minimum marks in both group discussion and personal interview.
The selected candidates will go for one-year training at various places. After the completion of the training, the performance of the candidates will decide their place of posting. They can be placed anywhere in the country in any projects, stations or offices.