Out of the few core branches, Electronics engineering is one of them. With no Electronics Engineer in existence, we cannot even envisage computers, smartphones, electronic gadgets, etc. Electronics Engineers are the soul of Chip Technology. It is also well thought-out as a sub-field of Electrical Engineering.
It predominantly encompasses the study of power electronics, analog electronics, digital electronics and embedded systems. In India, there is colossal scope for Electronics Engineers. They have ample of options to choose from after the graduation including Government Jobs. This article covers some of the significant government jobs that Electronics Engineers can opt.
Govt PSU Jobs for Electronics and Communication engineers
|Name of the PSU||Selection Process||Pay Scale|
|Power Grid Corporation of India (POWERGRID)||GATE, GD, PI||24,900 - 50,500|
|Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)||GATE, PI||24,900 - 50,500|
|Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)||GD, PI||24,900 - 50,500|
|National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)||GATE, GD, PI||24,900 - 50,500|
|Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)||GATE, PI||24,900 - 50,500|
|Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)||GATE, GD & GT, PI||24,900 - 50,500|
|National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC)||Written Exam, GD, PI||20,600 - 46,500|
|Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC)||GATE, PI||20,600 - 46,500|
|Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL)||GATE, PI||20,600 - 46,500|
|Coal India Limited (CIL)||All India Selection Test, PI||20,600 - 46,500 (DT) & 24,900 - 50,500 (AT)|
|Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)||Examination test / Skill test, Trade test||20,600 - 46,500|
|Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)||GATE, PI||16,400 - 40,500|
|Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited||GATE, Document Verification||16,400 - 40,500|
|Bharat Broadband Network Limited (BBNL)||GATE, PI||16,400 - 40,500|
|Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)||GATE, Personal Interview, HR Interview||16,400 - 40,500|
|Telecommunications Consultants India Ltd. (TCIL)||GATE, PI||16,400 - 40,500|
These companies also offer some Perks & Allowances and other remunerations to their employees such as:
- Dearness Allowance
- House Rent Allowance
- Cafeteria Approach (varies with company)
- Performance Related Company (differs with company)
- Medical amenities for self and the family members.
- Provident fund
- Pension Scheme
- Gratuity and much more
There are not only Maharatna and Navratna companies, which provide job opportunities to the Electronics Engineers, but there are also many Miniratna-I and II PSU companies too, which generates vacancies for them.
Indian Engineering Services
To accomplish the Technical functions of the system, the Government of India recruits Technical Graduates as civil servants and officials based on merit to achieve the civil services needs often termed as Indian Engineering Services. For this purpose, undergoes every year Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts a three-staged competitive examination called Engineering Services Examination (ESE). This is the most prestigious examination of India because cracking this exam is subsequent to Dream come true. ESE is also considered as one of the harshest examination not only in India but also in the whole world.
Some of the vital services through which Electronics Engineers can serve their country are:
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service
- Indian Naval Stores Service
- Indian Radio Regulatory Service
- Indian Naval Armament Service
- Indian Railway Service
- Indian Inspection Service
- Indian Railway Stores Service
- Corps of Electronics and Mechanical Engineers (EME)
- Indian Supply Service
- Central Power Engineering Service
- Indian Telecommunication Service
Railways vacancy for ECE Graduates
There are two ways by which Electronics Engineers can be hired to serve the Indian Railways:
- Engineering Services Examination (ESE)
- Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) exam
There are various services in the Indian Railways, which needs the endowment of Electronics Engineers such as:
- Indian Railway Service of Signal Engineers (IRSSE): The officers for this service are hired through Engineering Services Examination (ESE), which is conducted every single year by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). The candidates whose name is sensed in the undergo arduous training at Indian Railways Institute of Signal Engineering and Telecommunication (IRISET) situated at Secunderabad and National Academy of Indian Railways at Baroda.
- Indian Railway Stores Service (IRSS): The Electronics Engineers can serve this department by appearing in Engineering Services Examination (ESE) conducted annually by UPSC.
- Section Engineer: This is also one of the many important job post in Indian Railways and the applicants are shortlisted through Engineering Services Examination (ESE) merit list.
- Junior Engineer: The Engineers are appointed through Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) or Railway Recruitment Cell (RRC) department.
Electronics Engineering Graduates can serve their country by getting into various defense services such as:
- Indian Naval Armament Service (INAS): This is a civilian service or technical work, which supports Navy. The amenities provided to the INAS officers are parallel to those of Defence civilian officers.
- Assistant Commandant in Indian Army: UPSC conducts an All India Competitive Exam called Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) exam to recruit officers for this post. An Assistant Commandant post is equivalent to Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) or Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP).
- Officer in Indian Army: Graduates can join the Indian Army as an officer through an entry process known as Technical Graduate Course (TGC).
- Air Force: Graduates can join the Air force to serve their country. For this, they have to appear in an All India Competitive Examination called Air Force Common Admission Test (AFCAT).
- Combined Defence Service (CDS): UPSC conducts the exam through which the technical Graduates can join any defence.
- University Entry Scheme (UES): Through this, the technical graduates gets the opportunity to join Indian Navy.
Banking Sector opportunities for ECE freshers
The banking sector is organizing separate recruitment process for the specialist officers post. Specialist officers are responsible for managing the database, network, software and other related services in various government banks. Both SBI and IBPS conducts specialist officers exam on the regular basis. The Bank PO Salary and allowances are equivalent to some of the PSUs like BSNL, MTNL, TCIL, BEL, etc.
Staff Selection Commision Jobs
You might be thinking that SSC CGL job is not perfect for Engineers but that is not true at all. SSC CGL Exam is conducted every year for the various posts at central government departments and ministries. By clearing this exam you get the Group B, Group C & Group D job. I don’t recommend Group C & D vacancy for engineers but Group B may be a good choice if you compare the SSC CGL Salary of Class-II post with Bank PO Salary or MTNL/BSNL JTO Salary or some other PSUs. Now there is no personal interview for this exam hence it is easy to crack SSC CGL test as compared to othe jobs.
Read also : How to prepare for SSC CGL