Punjab offers a rewarding career in the police department because it has a long land border facing Pakistan. This career would be challenging and exciting simultaneously. The police force in Punjab has faced successfully the challenge posed by drug smuggling across the border, infiltration of terrorists and antisocial elements, armed incursions, as well as insurgencies.
Recruitment to the police force is done through internal promotions as per rules as well as by direct online application process. For Constable post, minimum qualification is 12 the (10+2) equivalent and for higher positions like SI and DSP, it is graduation from a recognized university.
Punjab Police Salary
|Post Name||Constable||Sub Inspector||DSP|
|Pay Scale & Grade Pay||10300 – 34800 GP 3200||10300 – 34800 GP 4600||15600 – 39100 GP 5400|
|Initial Basic Pay||13500||14900||21000|
|Gross Salary Per Month in Rs||35000 – 45000||40000 – 50000||58000 – 70000|
Punjab Government is paying salary as per 5th pay Commission of the state govt. The 6th pay commission guidelines yet to be issued and implemented for the Punjab govt servants. Hence the Police personnel is also getting the salary as per old pay revision.
The next pay revision i.e. 6th CPC (for Punjab State) already constituted and in few months it will get implemented. The Punjab police constable salary is highest among other states police say for example Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Haryana, Assam, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh etc.
Punjab Police Directly Recruited Posts
Constable: Job Profile
Constable is the backbone of the police force as he/she is in the forefront of every action scene. Constable as well as Head Constable report to Asst Sub Inspector or Sub inspector in some cases. He/she gets promoted as Head constable and ASI in a time-bound manner.
The main duty of Police constable is regularly patrolling the area allotted by SI, to keep an eye on anti-social elements and maintain law and order in the jurisdiction. This position is filled by online recruitment directly.
Duties of Police Constable depend upon the territory and jurisdiction. Traffic control and management of prisons also belong to Police department.
In general, based on power delegated by the SI, the constable
- registers FIRs in the police station,
- conducts inquiries about the complaint info,
- takes actions to detain accused if required,
- checks vulnerable places on usual rounds,
- provides security to constitutional authorities and functionaries,
- performs crowd control duties during rallies, demonstrations, local festivals,
- helps conduct elections,
- ensures the security of public property and vital installations,
- provides emergency care and takes accident victims to hospitals,
- listens to complaints and take decisions
- Prepares and submits reports
- Take over additional responsibilities ( multi-tasking) when allotted by superiors
- Investigates cases based on ASIs instructions
- takes part in the collection of evidence related to offenses and crimes
Sub Inspector: Job Profile
SI supervises and controls the work of subordinates, within the jurisdiction of given Thana(Police station ) area and reports to Circle inspector. He/ She represents the visible face of the police department. Deployment of the constables and HCs and ASIs into patrolling activities, crime investigation, interrogation of accused persons is the main responsibility.
In general the Sub Inspector
- Maintains rapport with the public,
- ensures timely action on FIRs,
- plans and executes crowd control in case of demonstrations and preventing damage to public property and loss of life,
- takes effective action on intelligence reports to prevent terrorist acts,
- provides inputs to police administration about trends in crime rate and, economic offenses as well as cybercrimes
- handles paperwork for court cases.
DSP: Job Profile
Deputy Superintendent of Police is equivalent of ACP( Asst Commissioner of Police department). The incumbent could be either a direct recruit through state public service commission or a promotee from the rank of ASP. He/she Has the powers of class one gazetted rank and may reach the rank of ADGP or IGP before attaining the age of superannuation.
In general DSP
- Maintains law and order in direct coordination with Collectors office(Deputy commissioners),
- and maybe also in charge of prisons as well as traffic duties
- take care of Paperwork related to questions in the legislature(assemblies or parliament)
- On behalf of SP, he/she can issue permission for processions, rallies, demonstrations,
- can order preventive detention in certain cases,
- pass orders to regulate traffic and for prevention of loss of public property and maintain law and order.
Wrap-up: The candidates may study the recruitment notifications issues by Punjab Police.