How to resign from a Government Job in India

Getting a government central or state government Job is tough and quite competitive in India due to the job security & stability it offers to the employees. Very few get the opportunity to work in reputed organizations.

Those who get the better option in other places or opt for higher studies may need to leave the current government job. Here I will discuss the government procedure for leaving a job with all permutation & combinations. Let’s start with basic question why anyone leaves a job

  • Selected for IAS/IPS or Engineering services or any other UPSC exams
  • Get selected for any other better Government Department/Company
  • Got a job in a private firm
  • Want to go for higher studies
  • Get selected in the same department via external exam

Now a day’s newly recruited candidates have to go through the bond of few years as stated n advertisement. In the event of breaking the bond, the candidate has to pay the bond amount to the department. Now let’s go for each scenario one by one & what is to be done in each case

Here one thing is important that if you are applying for a government post in another department, you need to inform in writing to the parent department through proper channel. And keep the receipt the copy of the same for future correspondence.

IAS/IPS or any other job through UPSC

As this recruitment is done for the higher administrative post in various government departments. A candidate just needs to intimate the parent department through proper channel at the time of applying for the post in via UPSC.  After selection in UPSC, there is no need to ask for NOC from the employer. You just need to resign from the post. If you have any bond then you should tell the employer to transfer the bond amount to UPSC.

Other PSU/State/Central Govt Job

As already mentioned that you should make aware the employer about the applying for a job in particular department. At the time of interview this department may ask for NOC from the employer, so before the interview, you should again write to the department with reference to your previous intimation letter and ask for NOC to appear in the interview. This time again take the receipt copy for future use. You should follow up the progress of NOC each passing day.

Private Company

There are many cases where one leave government service for better promotions & package in private sector. In this case, there is no need to intimate the employer. After confirmation of job in a private enterprise just submit a resignation letter to the department & take a receipt copy of same. Most probably you will be relieved from job provided that there is no departmental inquiry pending against the candidate.

Higher Studies

This case is little different from other. Some government departments provide leave without pay for higher studies. After completion, of course, the candidate can join the service. So before resigning the organization, you must check the human resource rules of the department. If a candidate is leaving the job or applying for leave without pay for the reason he should clearly specify the reason by attaching the selection letter of the University.

Same department via external exam

This is a typical case. If a candidate is applying for the job at higher post through open examination he/she must inform the Human Resource department in writing for the exam and take an acknowledgment copy for future use. There are many cases when a person applies for the same department at higher post without intimating through proper channel and he/she has to pay bond amount. And also his/her previous service will be treated as null. So it would be better to keep superiors informed in a government job.

While writing the resignation letter you don’t have to state the actual reason for the act. One can submit the resignation letter on plain paper. There may be other formalities like submitting no dues certificate etc. You have the chance to rollback the decision within notice period i.e. 90 days.

2 thoughts on “How to resign from a Government Job in India

  1. Hi shrinu, i really feel good to come across such an article. Actually, I had a doubt I wanted to ask. I m working with a psu rightnow. I had applied for a central govt post while in psu job. At the time of applying I had obtained NOC from my organisation to apply for the post. Do I need to again apply for noc for the document verification of the new post?? Also I wanted to know what will be the good time of resigning from the current job — when I see my name in final selection list or when I get the offer of appointment for new job?? Please help.

    • Did you submit NOC during the interview? If yes, same may be used during document verification time.
      If they don’t accept this NOC, then submit an undertaking to produce a new one in future before joining.
      You can resign, after the successful document verification & medical fitness test. If possible please ask the new department about expected appointment date/time during the document verification process.

Leave a Comment