How to resign from a Government Job in India

Getting a government central or state government Job is tough and quite competitive in India due to the job security & stability it offers to the employees. Very few get the opportunity to work in reputed organizations.

Those who get the better option in other places or opt for higher studies may need to leave the current government job. Here I will discuss the government procedure for leaving a job with all permutation & combinations. Let’s start with basic question why anyone leaves a job

  • Selected for IAS/IPS or Engineering services or any other UPSC exams
  • Get selected for any other better Government Department/Company
  • Got a job in a private firm
  • Want to go for higher studies
  • Get selected in the same department via external exam

Now a day’s newly recruited candidates have to go through the bond of few years as stated n advertisement. In the event of breaking the bond, the candidate has to pay the bond amount to the department. Now let’s go for each scenario one by one & what is to be done in each case

Here one thing is important that if you are applying for a government post in another department, you need to inform in writing to the parent department through proper channel. And keep the receipt the copy of the same for future correspondence.

IAS/IPS or any other job through UPSC

As this recruitment is done for the higher administrative post in various government departments. A candidate just needs to intimate the parent department through proper channel at the time of applying for the post in via UPSC.  After selection in UPSC, there is no need to ask for NOC from the employer. You just need to resign from the post. If you have any bond then you should tell the employer to transfer the bond amount to UPSC.

Other PSU/State/Central Govt Job

As already mentioned that you should make aware the employer about the applying for a job in particular department. At the time of interview this department may ask for NOC from the employer, so before the interview, you should again write to the department with reference to your previous intimation letter and ask for NOC to appear in the interview. This time again take the receipt copy for future use. You should follow up the progress of NOC each passing day.

Private Company

There are many cases where one leave government service for better promotions & package in private sector. In this case, there is no need to intimate the employer. After confirmation of job in a private enterprise just submit a resignation letter to the department & take a receipt copy of same. Most probably you will be relieved from job provided that there is no departmental inquiry pending against the candidate.

Higher Studies

This case is little different from other. Some government departments provide leave without pay for higher studies. After completion, of course, the candidate can join the service. So before resigning the organization, you must check the human resource rules of the department. If a candidate is leaving the job or applying for leave without pay for the reason he should clearly specify the reason by attaching the selection letter of the University.

Same department via external exam

This is a typical case. If a candidate is applying for the job at higher post through open examination he/she must inform the Human Resource department in writing for the exam and take an acknowledgment copy for future use. There are many cases when a person applies for the same department at higher post without intimating through proper channel and he/she has to pay bond amount. And also his/her previous service will be treated as null. So it would be better to keep superiors informed in a government job.

While writing the resignation letter you don’t have to state the actual reason for the act. One can submit the resignation letter on plain paper. There may be other formalities like submitting no dues certificate etc. You have the chance to rollback the decision within notice period i.e. 90 days.

16 thoughts on “How to resign from a Government Job in India”

  1. I had completed two years of service but my confirmation is still awaited from ministry/govt.
    Meanwhile my A.C.R has been sent twice satisfactory.

    my question is
    1) what is the notice period for resignation for me at this time(one month as for prabation period or three months as a confirmed employee) i.e if i want to resign on technical ground what will be the notice period for me now

    2) whether my confirmtion comes or not from G.O.I/ ministry, am will be considered confirmed regular or note.

    • The notice period is the same for all government employees in all cases that is 3 months.
      As you have successfully completed the probation period, so you will be considered a confirmed/regular employee.

  2. Hello shrinu, i am railway employee in 4200 gp . Now I have applied for 2400 gp as it is near my native. If my department doesn’t provide noc , what should i do to resign as i have 5 years bond in railway . I will pay compensation to railway if i get selected.

    • You should keep the railway department inform about the application to another department.
      When you get selected, write another letter for the requirement of NOC by referring to the previous letter.
      Keep the receipt copy of every letter you are sending to the Railway department.

  3. Hello Srinu, I had applied for a state government job earlier.At that time I didn’t had any job, but now I have got one and I am a central government employee. So, will need a noc while interview if a got selected as I have not mentioned any job in the application form that I filled for state government job?

    • Just try to get NOC by writing an application to the concerned authority. Don’t forget to mention that you had applied for the post before joining the central govt department. You need to take up continuous follow up for the NOC.

  4. Hello Srinu, Also tell, is service copy record of the previous job given to new dept say in UPSC if you get selected??

    • As it is a fresh recruitment, So I don’t think that there is a necessity of service Copy to submit the UPSC.

        • If you are taking any relaxation with this service, then yes it needs to be submitted and will be verified by UPSC else it is not mandatory. But you must take a service copy from your present department as it may require in future to show expertise on paper.

          • Also tell, do police verification happen again every time you switch between govt jobs??

          • Hello srinu sir…My question is ‘UPSC asking abt job vacancy in a particular field in which experience is required and that too of that particular field.Now,UPSC also asks for experience certificate in a particular format during application stage and interview stage.In this case if I get selected in a new job in UPSC then Service copy required of previous govt job or not(Though experience cerrificate was a must to appear in interview) and PVR,medical tests again required or not??

          • If you have filled about the job in the application form. You must produce it during document verification. I don’t think any Govt. organization refuse to provide the same.

  5. Hi shrinu, i really feel good to come across such an article. Actually, I had a doubt I wanted to ask. I m working with a psu rightnow. I had applied for a central govt post while in psu job. At the time of applying I had obtained NOC from my organisation to apply for the post. Do I need to again apply for noc for the document verification of the new post?? Also I wanted to know what will be the good time of resigning from the current job — when I see my name in final selection list or when I get the offer of appointment for new job?? Please help.

    • Did you submit NOC during the interview? If yes, same may be used during document verification time.
      If they don’t accept this NOC, then submit an undertaking to produce a new one in future before joining.
      You can resign, after the successful document verification & medical fitness test. If possible please ask the new department about expected appointment date/time during the document verification process.

Leave a Comment