RPF (Railway protection force) in India offers a career full of great challenges. Being a Govt job it has immense prestige and salaries and perks commensurate with the responsibilities.
RPF was constituted for the protection of rail passengers, rail tracks, and signaling equipment as well as other property belonging to Indian Railways. In order to be effective as a protection agency, it has been granted powers to arrest the accused conduct inquiry, interrogation, and investigation and prosecute accused persons in a court of law. It belongs to Railway ministry. While GRP (Government Railway Police) is part of state government, RPF belongs to Central Govt.
RPF Sub Inspector and Constable Salary
The following table shows the pre-revised pay scale of Sub Inspector and Constable Post in the Railway Protection Force department.
|Post Name||6th CPC Pay Scale & Grade Pay||7th CPC Basic pay||Gross Salary Per Month|
|Constable||5,200-20,200 GP 2,000||21,700||31,000 – 49,000|
|Head Constable||5,200-20,200 GP 2,400||25,500||36,000 – 55,000|
|ASI||5,200-20,200 GP 2,800||29,200||41,000 – 59,000|
|SI||9,300-34,800 GP 4,200||35,400||53,000 – 78,000|
|Inspector||9,300-34,800 GP 4,600||44,900||63,000 – 88,000|
|Assistant Commandant||9,300-34,800 GP 4,800||47,600||67,000 – 90,000|
|Deputy Commandant||9,300-34,800 GP 5,400||53,100||74,000 – 94,000|
|Commandant||15,600 – 39,100 GP 5,400||56,100||78,000 – 98,000|
Gross salary consists of basic Salary, DA, HRA, Transport allowances as well as other allowances according to rules
6th CPC Pay scale and Grade Pay: 5,200 – 20,200 with GP 2,000
7th pay commission Initial Basic pay after appointment in the post: 21,700
Gross Salary: Rs 31,000 – 49,000 per month.
6th CPC Pay scale and Grade Pay: 9,300 -34,800, Grade pay 4,200
7th CPC starting basic pay appointment in the post: 35,400
Total Salary: 53,000 – 78,000 per month
Other benefits include retirement pension, gratuity, and paid holidays as well as leave travel concession, cash compensation for holiday duty, ration-money allowance and dress allowance etc.
RPF Officers Ranks & Posts
The list of various post wise ranks of Railway Police Force represented here. Constable is the bottom-most rank in the cadre hierarchy and Director General (DG) is the top position in the list.
|Post Name||Working Offices or Portfolio||Post Class|
|Constable||Kahar, Tailor, Barber, Mali, Dhobi, Safaiwala, Cobbler, Motor Cleaner||Class – IV|
|Head Constable||Kahar, Tailor, Barber, Mali, Dhobi, Safaiwala, Cobbler, Motor Cleaner|
|ASI||Naib Subedar||Class – III|
|SI||Subedar, Assistant Company Commander, Crime Reader|
|Inspector||Post Commander, Company Commander, Public Prosecutor,Divisional Inspector, Quarter Master, Crime Inspector,Special Inspector||Class – II|
|Assistant Commandant||Personal Assistant, Assistant Security Commissioner, Adjutant, Assistant Commandant|
|Deputy Commandant||Deputy Security Commissioner|
|Commandant||Divisional Security Commissioner, Security Commissioner, Commanding Officer, Staff Officer||Class – I|
|AI-G||Assistant Inspector –General, Assistant to DG|
|Senior Commandant||Senior Security Commissioner, Sr. Divisional Security Commissioner, Deputy Chief Security Commissioner|
|Deputy Inspector General (DIG)||Additional Chief Security Commissioner, Chief Security Commissioner/RPSF|
|Inspector General (IG)||Chief Security Commissioner|
|ADG||Additional Director General|
RPF Sub Inspector and Constable Responsibilities
They are the frontline staff in dealing with antisocial elements, providing security to passengers and making travel completely secure and free from incidents and protecting rail property as well as rail tracks and equipment.
They also prepare documents and reports. Those posted in the Band are required to practice and participate in ceremonial parades, playing musical instruments as well.
Sub Inspector (Executive, Band department)
Academic qualification (minimum): Candidates should have Graduate degree from a recognized university.
Age must be between 20 to 25 years. (Exemption as per rules)
RPF Constable Posts list as per work
Academic Qualifications (Minimum): Matriculation from a recognized board.
To be a Constable in RPF, candidates Age must be between 18 to 25 years.
Physical (height and chest measurement) requirements
- Male candidates: Height at least 165 centimeters. Chest unexpanded at least 80 centimeters and expanded at least 85 centimeters.
- For female candidates, minimum height should be 157 centimeters.
- For SC/ST category males: minimum height should be 160 centimeters and unexpanded chest should be 76.2centi meters (minimum) and expanded chest should be 81.2 centimeters minimum.
- For SC/ST category females the minimum height should be 152 centimeters.
- For the specified category such as Marathas, Garhwal, Kumaonese, Goorkhas, Dogras: for females height requirement is 155 centimeters and for males: minimum height is 163 centimeters and unexpanded chest must be more than 80 centimeters and on expansion ,the same should not be less than 85 centimeters.
Exam as well as online application procedures
Two separate agencies will be engaged by ChairmanCRC (Central recruitment committee constable and central recruitment committee Sub Inspector) for:
- candidate application processing online
- computer-based tests for candidates
Application methodology (process)
- Every candidate must apply from online mode only (Official Website: https://si.rpfonlinereg.org/)
- Only one application per candidate is allowed
- Two alphabets for group opted, two for the category of a candidate and then the numerical indicate allotted number (Candidates to be considered for vacancies in the opted group (of railway zones) based on merit list for the group.
- Group subcommittees are formed for verification of testimonials(documents), trade-testing, physical measurement and fitness test
Group A: Southern railway, SouthwestRailway, South- Central Railway
Gr B: Central Railway, Western Railway, West-Central Railway, Southeastern Central Railway
Gr C: Eastern Railway, East-Central Railway, South-Eastern railway,
Gr D: Northern railway, North-eastern Railway, North-western railway, North Central railway
Gr E: North- Frontier- Railway
Gr F: RPSF battalions
(Within the group’s candidates must give preferred zone, those opting for group F can be posted in any of 15 RPSFbattalions)
- Candidates must pay the fee prescribed for the candidate category for the examination.
- The Fee can be paid online(internet banking or credit card/ debit card) or post office challah or SBI challah
Candidates claiming waiver must submit the declaration.
Details filled must match exactly data in matriculation certificate (name and father’s name for example)
Application form filling method
- click the online application link
- enter your name, dob, fathers- name, mothers- name,
- A valid email id and an active mobile number.
- Check accuracy of filled data. Fill all necessary data.
Written test for Sub inspector
Syllabus consists of
- Current affairs and GK
- Logical reasoning and IQ (general intelligence)
- Mathematics (mainly numerical)
- English language
For constable syllabus
IQ and GK, English and essay, Maths (numerical)
Mathematics (Numerical) for RPF exam includes
Problems in fractions and decimals and calculation of %, Highest common factor and least common multiple, Time calculation, calculating Profit and loss.
English language (RPF exams) consists of
Agreement between verb and subject, mistake correction, vocabulary, unseen paragraph comprehension, phrases, idioms.
Current affairs GK (RPF EXAM) consists of
- Geography, history, the culture of India
- Environment, society, cultural heritage
- Events of international and local significance
- Economic development and politics