Conservation of wildlife and the forests, as well as ecological biodiversity, is a sacred constitutional duty of every person. If you are aspiring for state govt job in forest conservation service, this article can guide you to explore some of the career options made available in West Bengal.
General responsibilities of forest service dept personnel include:
- Create Awareness, train people, and plan for planting for afforestation, dedicated execution, continuously managing plans,
- Strategy formulation, target monitoring, analyzing successes and failures, verification,
- Administer legal provisions for protection and conservation,
- provide legal advice govt on conservation policies, suggest changes to policies, articulate and clarify,
- Thoroughly inspect forest boundaries, plan repairs, and conduct survey, construct approach roads and office buildings/check posts if needed.
WB Forest Guard, FS, & SFS Salary
|Post Name||Forest Service||Subordinate Forest Service||Forest Guard|
|Pay Scale||15600 – 42000||7100 – 37600||5400 – 25200|
|Initial Basic Pay||21000||11000||7300|
|Minimum Monthly Gross Salary||52500 – 70000||27500 – 40000||19000 – 28000|
The above table represents the salary of West Bengal Forest Services and Sub Ordinate officers salary. As I already mentioned in my earlier post that 7th CPC guidelines are not yet implemented in the West Bengal. Hence the salary of WB Government Employees is less compare to other states in India.
The Initial basic pay of Forest Service Executive and Subordinate FS is 21000/- and 11000/- respectively. After adding the perks and allowances the total salary of Forest service is Rs 52500/- per month. Similarly, SFS staff get the salary of 27500/- per month just after the appointment.
FS/SFS Job profile
Forest Service/ Subordinate forest service job duties involve various conservation measures.
Subordinate forest service duty involves:
- Conservation of trees, birds, wild animals, sandalwood trees, prevent poaching of rare species,
- Harmony with local communities, respect their legal rights and concessions,
- Plan and supervise legal resin tapping, take positive action to prevent fire damage to forest assets,
- plan prevention of theft of assets such as timber, valuables like sandalwood ,
- Provide water and save newly planted bushes, saplings, growing trees, ensuring forest boundary is secure with pillars,
- Patrolling regularly critical areas, confiscating stolen assets.
Forest service officers’ duties and responsibilities:
- He/she is accountable for effective conservation and protection of birds, rear species, valuable trees, ecology, wildlife, forest environment, biodiversity, rear plants and valued tree produce,
- Must remain knowledgeable and trained in conservation academics, responsible to develop know-how and research,
- Supervising forest development schemes,
- Making charge-sheets for illegal acts, enquiring and investigating, prosecuting, enabling justice,
- Writing and orally communicating official orders, plans, instructions
Deploying subordinate manpower, motivating, inspiring and training newcomers,
- maintaining budgetary expenditure records, legal books and files, guiding controlling & supervising forest guards, assisting superiors at a district level in attaining targets, controlling budgets and expenses, analyzing variances in budgeted costs, revising expenditure plans,
- checking if the irrigation method of nursery plants is working,
- ensuring legal compliance of monetary transactions, submitting progress reports, to higher authorities,
- Making dept employees, aware of rules, circulars, training to spread awareness
- Checking forestry development work expenses w. r. t. to approved estimates, attending meetings to review and discuss the issues,
- checking soil moisture and nutrients.
How to Join FS/SFS in West Bengal
Recently West Bengal Govt has advertised the WBPSC FS SFS Vacancy Notification in the forest office department. You can check here the requirements in order to become a FS/SFS.
Eligibility: age between 21 and 36 years for Forest service, and between 21 and 39 years for Subordinate Forest Service
Academic Qualifications: University graduation in science or engineering with any of the following subjects:
Botany, physics, zoology, chemistry, biology, mathematics, agri science, statistics, environment, horticulture, veterinary science, biodiversity, geology, forestry, civil engg, electrical, electronic, chemical, agri engg, mech engg.
Direct Recruitment selection process includes the online application, prelim exam, main exam , physic measurement, Endurance walking ( fitness) test as well as the personality test.
Standard of measurement: male height 163 centi meter, chest 84 centi meter (+5 cm expanded); Female: height: 150 centi meter. (relaxation as per rules)
Endurance test: walking: Male must walk 25 kilometers within 4 hours; Female: 16 kilometers within 4 hours.
Prelim exam involves GK, English, History, IQ reasoning, freedom movement, politics, events, sports, geography.
Main exam has degree level (BSc Or B Tech specializations as per MQ) one subject for SFS and two subjects for FS plus compulsory subjects of General study, English, Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Santhali/Nepali.
Direct recruitment for WB FS/SFS posts is based on written exam, as well as endurance tests. Candidates may visit the website for more details.